Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

By Myself

I’ve listened to the song “Mary Did You Know?” the last two days via Facebook. For some reason, it made me cry both times. The second time it was uncontrollable crying like I had just gotten a whoopin.. The only problem is that I wasn’t sure why I was crying? Was it the lyrics? The harmony? My love for music? The amount of dranks I had?
Or who was singing it???


The words to the song got me all in my feelings. It talks about how great Mary’s Baby Boy is, and how Mary was carrying such a jewel; delivering a child that will soon deliver her and how the dead will live again. Never heard the song before, but it made me emotional and I began to think………….


I was once a jewel.
I was supposed to be great and do good.
It’s what I was created to do.


But, I don’t feel like it.
I go through these spouts, often.


I feel like I was robbed of my greatness. I really do. I’m reminded of it with each move that I make. Each sip that I take. Each family function that I attend. Each friend that I keep around that has ties with my offender...that I want no part in.
To watch someone sing such a beautiful song, in perfect melody, that ministered to my soul, mind you, that had so much meaning, with words so strong, with so much potential, in reverence of a baby boy that was to become great……..come from the mouth of someone who was the very cause of my life’s downward spiral; now, that hurt me even more.

I was once that baby girl with such potential.
I’m actually jealous, to be honest.
How could my molester move on so preponderantly?
And I still be so stagnant because of what he did to me?
He stole my potential, some of my talents, my innocence, and part of my personality and I just want them back.
I just want to feel normal again.


*************************


This morning, a good friend of mine sent me the song, “By Myself” by Alvin Garrett ft. Ruben Studdard.
I absolutely love it!


This song may as well be the theme song of my life right now. It's so encouraging and very immediate to the situations in my life. I've been cutting people off left & right for personal reasons. I’ve ceased contact with so many people & most of my family that sometimes I stop myself to ponder if I AM THE PROBLEM? But, uhhhhh, NO.
That is not always the case.
And I have to get out of that way of thinking.
I don’t necessarily have a “victory story,” just yet, but the fact that I am still standing is victory enough in itself. It’s just up to me to realize it. And this song is my walking, active testimony in progress.
Trust, that when I get to the that “safe” place, I’m going to sing this song like a Southern Baptist Hymn (In my alto voice).
Through all of this I have had some very solid friends. But, one very specific person whom I don’t give enough credit to is my son’s father, Jon. He has known me since I was 5 years old.
This man knows me like no other. He may have just bared every mood swing written in the book of feminism.
I’ve cussed him out, called him all kinds of names at times, and even disagreed with him on 99% of things…..lol. But what I can say is I know exactly when to call him. My life can be in disarray, or my childhood sometimes comes back up to haunt me, but I can call him and do the “silent cry” while he just listens.
Now, whether or not he hangs up on me and blame it on his battery dying, I will never know? But at least I get it off my chest for the time being. lol.


We were best friends more than half our lives. He's stuck with me, now. And it’s unfortunate that it was his own brother that caused my downward spiral in life (in my opinion). However, I have never forced him to make a choice between the two of us, nevertheless, he stuck by my side through all of my tantrums, unbiased to his relation to my molester. He has been in my corner all these years. So this is a public thank you to my friend, Jon.


He sent me this song this morning and I’ve had it on repeat.

My current theme song.

6 comments:

  1. When I clicked on your link and began to read I didn't know what was to follow but after reading deeper into it every word started to sound so familiar when finally I realized this is my story different characters but the same story. One set me up for another and the hard part was forgiving moving on when the main person never asked for forgiveness and he's deceased. The good news is I did the work and that's the only reason I can comment on your blog today. I can tell you with time along with doing the work and it's hard work you can live again free from all that's attached to your pain. Stay Blessed Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Sheila.

      It is very hard and overwhelming at times. But I'm working on it. Forgiving is very difficult and confusing. I'm not completely sure I've even forgiven, yet. There were times I THOUGHT I had, but other days I question if I really did?

      I will say this, I do look forward to the days of telling my story with less pain involved.

      Delete
  2. Natasha, It breaks my heart to hear of the pain that has been selfishly thrown upon you, by the hand of a family member. My prayer is that you allow Mary's baby boy (JESUS) who delivered her, also with His healing power of love deliver you from the chains of pain that grow heavier as the years go by. BY FAITH, allow genuine forgiveness to give you the spiritual strength to take back full control of your emotion, where your molester will no longer have access/power/control of the emotions of your future. You see, forgiveness is not only about releasing your offender but also liberating yourself from the pain of the offense. Genuine forgiveness allows you to walk effortlessly in the spirit of your mind without the weight of your painful past = 0). My Sister, earnestly seek the God of your salvation, who is exceedingly able to break every chain and heal every hurt and then be mightly used in His kingdom to help others who struggle set free and be freed. Let God use you. No, longer worry about your perpetrator, believe me the law of reciprocity is real and God always makes all things work out for your good. Never forget that you remain a jewel, with a destiny to be gteat and do good. Love you. Your Sister in Christ, DAMITA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reaching out, Sis. Gabriel. The words that you spoke are words I needed to be reminded of. All of the support and love I feel is penetrating through the layers of hurt, denial, unworthiness and bitterness that I've felt for the last 18 years.

      My prayer now is that God shows me what forgiveness truly looks like. I struggle with whether or not I've truly forgiven all parties, including myself? Some days I feel like I have and other days not so much.

      Once again, thank you for your encouraging words.
      Love you.

      Delete
  3. You are very welcome. Days when you feel like forgiveness was never dispatched, operate as if it is in full effect. The more this is done God can and will continue to heal, remove the core of your pain, and replace with His peace that surpasses all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete