Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 5, 2012

It's Never Too Late For An Education

(This is a sample writing that I submitted for a potential job. Wish me luck!)




Education is definitely a major goal for me right now, as it should be for anyone. The fact that I’m still young gives me the opportunity that not all had the likelihood of executing. Some in today’s generation definitely takes for granted that a higher education is available to all who have the determination and discipline to attain. It is there but you have to want it. There are a few key things that can help you accomplish whatever goal you decide to achieve.
Dedication is a must. I can attest to having troubles through out my college education. My first semester of school, I was focused and doing great. Very motivated and had one goal in mind, to walk across that stage with a degree. Toward the end of the first semester, a tragedy struck me that diverted my attention. One of my best friends had suddenly passed as a result of a brain aneurysm. My grades started dropping and soon I was failing all but one of my classes. That is when I made the decision to take a few semesters off and return when I felt I was ready. It wasn’t until four years later when I finally woke up one day and realized that I needed to do something about my education. It was when my graduating class starting getting their degrees that I opened my eyes and realized that could’ve been me. I didn’t get too discouraged to the point where I gave up but it actually motivated me. It didn’t matter to me that I was just getting started the year I should have been done had I stuck with my plan. I made up in my mind that I was determined to finish. I didn’t want 5-10 years to go by and still be talking about it could’ve been me. I was determined to make it me! Don’t ever think it’s too late to get started or to still be in school.
Support is vital. There are plenty of resources out there for us young people to use. We all have our personal lives; some have kids, jobs, and other things going on. However, make sure you surround yourself with likeminded people who will keep you motivated and focused. Family can play a big role in your journey. Also use other resources such as talking to your counselors at your school. They will help you stay on track towards goal. Stay involved in school activities; join support groups, tutoring, and programs such as W.A.C and R.A.D. They are there to help us excel. Finally, there are programs that offer a major amount of financial support such as financial aid, grants, loans, and scholarships. All you have to do is apply for them. Billions of dollars are given away a year for the sole purpose to further our education.
Accountability is significant. There will be times where everything doesn’t always go as planned and classes are harder than you expected. Failing a class does not mean that you have ruined your goal. As they say, dust yourself off and try again. You can attempt a course up to 3 times in order to better your chances at getting the grade that you want to reflect on your transcript. You can also have a course discounted when you repeat it so it doesn’t harm your GPA. But most importantly, be accountable for your actions. Figure out what it is that you can do better the next time and work on that so you don’t make the same mistakes. Use your time wisely while in school and set schedules to stick to. Otherwise, you can be easily distracted.
My journey has not always been easy but with the dedication, support, and accountability that I have for my own actions, I was able to realize my weaknesses and correct them. I was setting goals way beyond my reach and when I didn’t reach them, I was too hard on myself. There were plenty of times I had to refocus and regroup and it paid off. I not only brought my grades up but I also learned to set goals that were attainable for me and easy to maintain. I am more focused and I will not give up until I reach my goal.

6 comments:

  1. I can agree, because I am at the age of 33 with 3 kids and I am currently back in school to get my B.A in Health Care Administration. Having support is very helpful. My other half is my cheerleader, he tells me I can do it at times when I think I can't. My kids are my motivation, I look at them and want better for them so that makes me strive harder!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with the job!!!! I cant wait until you graduate with that degree.. It will be some celebration thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good Jamila. And girl I be havin some grandmothers in my classes. It is never too late!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DD you have definitely been a great support for me through this school journey. I can remember timeswhere I called you from the parking lot of the school crying because I didn't think I could do it. So a big thank you from me, for helping me stay motivated.
    We are definitely going to celebrate big time when I'm done = )
    I wub chew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Great!!! Convinced me....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work girl. Keep us posted on the job. You definitely got my vote! I continue to be proud of you.

    ReplyDelete